The aim of this unit is to target individuals with psychological and social problems. The services offered are counselling, psychotherapy and psycho-diagnostics. The major diagnoses commonly assessed and/or managed at the unit include childhood depression, Learning problems, Autism, Intellectual Disability, Suicide, Dementia, Anxiety Disorders, Epilepsy, Headache, family conflicts/problems, substances use disorders, Sexual disorders and many more. Psychological therapies are evidence based psychological intervention for a variety of psychological and medical problems, including mood, anxiety disorders such as obsessive compulsive disorder, social phobia, panic, personality disorders, substance abuse, medically unexplained symptoms, psychotic symptoms and lifestyle disorders.
The department receives referrals psycho diagnosis and therapy from psychiatry department of the institute as well and from other hospitals within the city. The department also receives walk-in requests for therapies which include cognitive therapies, training in relaxation, exposure and response prevention, anger management, assertiveness, social skills training, biofeedback, stress management are provided by the team.
In keeping with the new trends, it offers Cognitive behavior therapy, Motivational enhancement therapy, Anger management, Cognitive remedial techniques, Family therapy, Marital therapy, Psychosexual counseling, and Mind-body techniques. This has been integrated into the services as well as research and training in the department.
Mental health is a key component in a child’s healthy development; children need to be healthy in order to learn, grow, and lead productive lives. The mental health service delivery system in its current state does not sufficiently meet the needs of children and youth, and most who are in need of mental health services are not able to access them. With the addition of effective treatments, services, and supports, the mental health system can become better equipped to help children and youth with mental health problems, or those who are at risk, to thrive and live successfully.
Deva Institute of Healthcare & Research Pvt. Ltd. was established in 1972. The institute addresses primarily neuropsychiatric illnesses in both adult and child and adolescent population. The focus is especially on the identification and management of the mental illnesses in their active phase through outpatient and inpatient care. Seeing the increased numbers of child patients with neuropsychiatric and behavioural problems, and family stress attached to it, the institute planned of extending the services for best care of the population. Deva Institute has decided to develop a center for Child and Adolescents as Deva Center for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in the same premises of established hospital.
The center is completely based on the needs of the child with mental and behavioural disorders and their parents’ expectation for child care. A multidisciplinary approach is adopted while evaluating children with problems in learning and behavior and providing the best management. This is the first of its kind in this part of the state.
Many difficulties in children and adolescents may just be variations of the normal. Seeing the need of the situation the target populations include all children and adolescents of age group 1 month to 16 years with any of the following conditions
- Levels of Intelligence (IQ) and Types of Intelligence
- Developmental Neurological Disorders – Autism
- Poor School Performance (PSP)
- Anxiety, School Phobia, Exam Phobia and various Fears in the child
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders (ADD/ADHD)
- Defiant/ Oppositional Behavior, Conduct Disorders
- Abuse/ dependence of alcohol and any other substance
- Obsessive Behavior/ Disorders; obsessive slowness/ procrastination, etc
- Depression, Social Withdrawal, loss of interest
- Functional disorders – schizophrenia, mood disorder, Dissociative disorders etc.
- Tics/ Tourette Disorder
- Bed wetting/ Non organic enuresis and encopresis
- Learning Disorders (LD) or Academic Skill Deficits in Reading, Writing, Spelling, Math, etc.
- Speech and Language Disorders: Stuttering, Aphasias, stammering, etc
- Motor Skill Deficits; poor handwriting, clumsiness, etc.
- Addiction to TV/ Internet, Disorganized routines
- Physical, emotional and sexual abuse
- ‘Functional’ symptoms like Headache, Breathlessness, Stomachache, Frequent sickness, Absenteeism from school, school refusal, etc
Cases may be referred to us from other hospitals, polyclinics, general practitioners, or schools or they may be self-referred. We strongly encourage parents or guardians to accompany your child for consultation.